It's been almost a month since I started working on getting more traffic from Yahoo and MSN/Live.com search engines on one of my sites, but my efforts seem to be paying off. All the changes were on site, mainly changes to my robots.txt, sitemap.xml and pinging updates when the site ads new content.
Compare to the previous period, traffic improved across all major search engines. Google was already giving me a good amount of visitors but traffic from Google increased over 17%. Traffic from Yahoo! search increased 50% and MSN/Live.com traffic had the biggest improvement of over 180%. Ask.com traffic improved by over 90%.
Google still is my major source of search engine traffic by far but these results seem promising.
Live.com has indexed a lot more of this site as a result of the changes. Before the changes, Live.com had only indexed about 1% of the site, now it's over 10% of the site and MSNBot seems to be visiting more frequently. Every time I check the number increases and my domain score is 5 out of 5.
The increased index pages helped bring some more long tail keyword traffic from Microsoft's search engines. Since there are still 10 times as many pages that can be indexed by MSNBot that haven't, I'm hoping traffic from MSN and Live.com continue to grow. Yahoo seems to have indexed the pages well. While I'm expecting search traffic growth from Yahoo!, my expectations are less.
Google Anlytics seems to recognize these fake search engine referrers and doesn't report them as genuine search engine traffic.
Developers are Writing the Script for the Future - Last week I was invited to Slush in Helsinki, where I gave a keynote called “Developers are Writing the Script for the Future.” Here’s a 20 minute video… R...
2 hours ago